Ready or not, I’m going to race the Twin Cities Marathon in two weeks!
If you’ve been following my blog, you know that this training cycle has been less than optimal. My two training races, AFC Half and Disney Half, were, in my opinion, poor performances. They didn’t allow me to deposit anything into my confidence bank. Actually, each race withdrew from that bank. Honestly, I can’t put my finger on exactly why my training and racing is off this training cycle. But, I will continue to move forward with eagerness and determination. I will not back down.
There is one thing I know for sure. Positive thinking doesn’t always work, but negative thinking always does!
I made a list of the positives and positive thoughts:
1. I’m a marathoner inside and out. Most of the time my half marathon splits are the same or faster in the marathon as in the half marathon.
2. I know this course like the back of my hand.
3. I will draw on all the positive experiences I’ve had while running this marathon. I have exciting memories of each mile and I will use that to my advantage.
4. I have passed women with much faster resumes than mine on this course because I didn’t stop trying and I dug deep.
5. It’s the marathon and anyone can excel on this day.
6. I had a few workouts where I nailed the goal splits and I definitely put forth the effort on all the others. Training in hundred-degree temps just got to me physically and mentally this summer, but the EFFORT was there and from effort comes fitness!
7. I’ve run 2:44 or better at least 9 times. My body knows this pace and loves this pace!
8. I have trained hard and I won’t back down!
9. Some of the most amazing accomplishments of my life came to me when I tried to do something that seemed impossible. Wow, so many priceless moments would have been lost if I hadn’t tried. For example…last year I won the USA Masters Marathon Championship, qualified for the trials and got engaged…all because I took a chance and tried!
10. I will do this!! Can you feel my smile? I’m getting so excited just typing this!!!
11. Can’t wait to TRY with all my heart!!
1. Dream Goal…Win the USA Masters Championship for the fifth time!
2. Realistic Goal…Run a 2:44 and I will be happy with whatever place that is.
3. Not my day goal…I won’t back down and I will finish this marathon giving 120%! Impossible to be disappointed in yourself when you give something all you got!